Friday, September 11, 2009

A Daughter's Eulogy

My Daddy Brod

I remember distinctly that particular Sunday morning when my father told me not to join a sorority yet since I was still a freshman at the time. I was both nervous and anxious since I was already a member of the Sigma Delta Phi Sorority and had no way of denying my batch when it was time to introduce myself to him as a sister.
When the time of introductions came, I bravely shook his hand and introduced myself as Gwen '97, he smiled widely as he took my hand, stated his name and enunciated his batch. He told me how our seniority would work perfectly for him at home.
I can never forget that smile.

My dad took on many roles.
He was everything and anything I needed him to be on any particular moment.

My daddy when I was a kid...
He would sit me on his lap, play the guitar and we'd sing our hearts out.
He was there when I first tried to ride a bike. All the while I thought it was so easy to ride since I was doing it with much ease, only to realize that all the while, his hand was behind me making sure that I wouldn't fall.

My dad when I was a teen...
While I was addicted to changing looks, he was the one who would actually dye my hair as long as we agree on a particular shade. He never fancied too much color. When I turned 18, he was my first dance, he whispered to me that no matter how grown up I become,
I will always be his princess.

My dad when I was a young adult...
He took on the role of being not just our father but a mother, a chef, chauffeur, electrician, plumber, carpenter, and everything rolled in between.

My adult life with him may have been cut short,
but I have no regrets.

Now that he's gone,
offer me no cliches,
or say the same old overused lines.
For no matter how much time passes by
I know I will forever miss him.

My father once told me to go find myself beyond the sun...

Daddy, I will try my very best.
I love you so much.
You will always be my only hero.

No comments: